Seriously, I am at a loss for words right now. I’ve just invented something spectacular.
I’m talking about a soft, melt-in-your-mouth honey wheat bread. I’m talking about cheesy-ness. I’m talking about a rich, meaty, cheeseburger flavor.
Minus the burger.
It’s vegetarian! But shhh, don’t tell…no one will ever know unless you tell them.
Vegetarian “Cheeseburger” Pillows
Yield: 6 Pillows
Honey Wheat Dough:
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (note that this is different from active dry yeast)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons warm skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 12-ounce package Boca frozen ground crumbles
- ground pepper to taste
- 6 slices fat free American cheese
Egg Wash (omit if you’re a vegetarian that doesn’t eat egg):
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix together flours, salt, and yeast.
- Using microwave or stovetop, heat milk until warm (i.e. 120-130 degrees F).
- Using electric mixer, combine flour mixture with warm milk.
- Add in honey and softened butter.
- Place dough onto a well-floured surface. Knead well for about 5 minutes, dusting with flour as needed.
- Grease a medium bowl with cooking spray. Let dough ball rest in greased bowl for 10 minutes.
- After dough has rested, place dough ball onto a well-floured surface again. With a flour-dusted rolling pin, roll dough out into a rectangle approximately 12 inches x 10 inches.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough evenly into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a thin, 6-7 inch square.
- Place frozen Boca ground crumbles into a large microwaveable dish. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes and then mix with ground pepper, to taste.
- Place one slice of cheese in the middle of each dough square. Then scoop up 1/2 cup ground crumbles and place onto cheese. Try to keep the crumbles on top of the cheese and not the dough.
- Bring together the sides of the dough and wrap around cheese/crumbles. Wet your fingers and pinch together the seam. Make sure its sealed tightly. Place filled bun, seam-side down, onto greased baking sheet and repeat with the other 5 dough squares.
- Let them rise about one hour in a warm place (they won’t rise much).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the hour has passed, in a small separate bowl, beat egg. Brush generously onto each filled bun. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once finished baking, remove buns from baking sheet and place onto a cooler surface.
- Eat and enjoy! They’re best when they’re fresh.