They say third time’s a charm, but they’re wrong. It’s the second.
Ever reread a book? Or watch a really great movie twice?
Surely you’ve made a great recipe a second time? Or gone back for seconds at a meal?
Things make more sense, seem more profound, and even taste better. Second time’s a charm.
Which is why I simply had to post a recipe with Oreos again.
It truly felt strange to have a container of Oreos sitting around, untouched, for several days. I even constructed a Post-It sign to ward off potential Oreo predators: “NOT FOR CONSUMPTION!” One of the Oreo predators scratched out the “NOT” in my warning, but despite the passive antagonism, left the chocolate wafer cookies alone. With all the circling cookie monsters, it’s a wonder I could sleep at night.
But sleep I did. And in my sleep, I dreamt of Oreos. They beckoned to me, haunted me like frosting-filled ghosts.
Then one night, it came to me. Oreo muffins with Oreo streusel! In all likelihood, I drooled on my pillow because the idea was too delicious not to.
Don’t even tell me you’ve never drooled on your pillow before.
Streusel Oreo Muffins
Yield: About 10-12 muffins
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 8-12 Oreos, coarsely crushed
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, diced
- 4 Oreos, finely crushed
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees F. Grease or line muffin tin with liners.
- To prepare streusel, stir together flour, sugar, and finely crushed Oreos in a small bowl. Cut in butter until consistency becomes like coarse meal. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring between additions. Add vanilla.
- Add flour all at once. Mix on low speed for a few seconds, then add milk and continue mixing just until incorporated. Fold in crushed oreos.
- Divide batter between 10-12 muffin tins, filling each 3/4 full. Evenly sprinkle Oreo streusel atop batter.
- Bake 16-18 minutes, or until done.