You haven’t heard from me for a
long time while so I owe you all an explanation.
It was the computer’s fault, I swear. You believe me, right?
Now is the moment when you nod your heads in understanding because…well, there’s food ahead. And you missed visiting my little nook in cyberspace. At least, that’s what I tell myself.
The computer went caputs, the repair guy (or saint?) came to fix it, and everything is back to normal. I was baking all along in spite of the technical issue, which means I have some lovely baked goods to share! If only they could literally be shared; some days, it’s like invasion of the muffins up in my kitchen.
Or like today, invasion of the vanilla cornmeal blondies.
The blondie has long played second fiddle to the rich, gooey, chocolate-y brownie. But no more. To make it a fair fight, I had to whip out the vanilla. Vanilla versus chocolate? At this point it became an all-out ingredient cagematch.
Do you even need to ask who won? Take one look at the crispy top, the gooey underlying layer. Imagine the chewy texture of caramelized brown sugar, the sweet scent and full-bodied flavor of vanilla. There’s your answer.
Vanilla Cornmeal Blondies
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (144 g)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (120 g)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed (138 g)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar (125 g)
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons liquid non-dairy vanilla coffee creamer
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8″ x 8″ square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal and flour. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugars, melted butter, vanilla coffee creamer, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and stir until incorporated. Evenly smooth batter (it will be thick) into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 32-35 minutes, or to desired doneness. Let cool completely before cutting into 9 – 16 bars.